This application is for organizations which have not received services through Texas C-BAR before. Returning clients should complete the Returning Client form. If you are forming a new organization, review our Startup Recommendations. Submit your application by email attachment: email@example.com; regular mail: Texas C-BAR – 4920 N. IH 35, 2nd Floor – Austin, Texas 78751; or by fax: 512-447-3940 –
Questions? Phone: 512-374-2712 or (800) 369-9270, ext. 2712. Once you have submitted a completed application, a staff member will contact you for an intake interview.
Types of Legal Assistance Available
Almost any legal matter that does not involve litigation, for example:
- Drafting certificates of formation and bylaws
- Drafting and negotiating contracts
- Advice about government regulations
- Preparing real estate documents
- Reviewing loan documents
- Drafting employment manuals
- Applying for tax exempt status
- Advice on corporate governance
- Copyright and trademark issues, and other matters.
On-Line Resource Center for Nonprofits and Microenterprises
Texas C-BAR also offers a series of legal workshops for nonprofits and an on-line Legal Resource Center with information on employment law, nonprofit legal compliance, and other legal issues affecting nonprofits.
Organizations which meet each of the following guidelines are eligible for assistance:
- Primary mission is serving low-income persons; or
- Primarily composed of persons who are low-income and which includes U.S. citizens or lawful permanent resident aliens; and
- Lack of funds or practical means to retain counsel.
Priority is given to community-based nonprofits engaged in community development initiatives, including housing, job training and workforce development programs, revolving loan funds, and child care.
Start-up organizations which have not yet incorporated are also eligible for legal assistance with the nonprofit incorporation process.
Microentreprenuers must meet financial and other eligibility guidelines.
For more information