“We are a small community comprised mostly of elderly citizens. C-Bar saved us money by providing legal services. That money is in turn put back into our community.”
– Mary Grave, Cross Plains Area Housing Initiative, Inc.
Who We Are
Texas Community Building with Attorney Resources (“Texas C-BAR”) is the only project of its kind in Texas and was established to provide free legal resources and business law services to organizations working to improve the quality of life in low-income neighborhoods. Texas C-BAR was founded in 2000 with the support of the Texas Bar Foundation and continues as a successful program today due to the support we have received from more than 100 law firms and corporate legal departments, thousands of volunteer attorneys, the State Bar, and numerous other funders and participants.
Texas C-BAR’s Mission and Values
Our mission is to support development of community infrastructure by providing expert legal resources to nonprofits and microentrepreneurs.
We fulfill this mission by:
- providing pro bono referrals and direct services to nonprofits and microentrepreneurs, especially in underserved areas, for non-litigation legal matters;
- supporting volunteer attorneys to help ensure the referrals are successful;
- offering legal workshops, on-line resources, and publications on important legal issues affecting nonprofits and microentrepreneurs; and
- collaborating with strategic partners to address systemic legal barriers to community development in low-income communities.
We guide ourselves by the following values:
- We are dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of Texas’s low-income neighborhoods and communities.
- We strive to serve nonprofits and microentrepreneurs that provide innovative and effective solutions to improve the quality of life in low-income communities.
- We recognize and appreciate the importance of volunteers and investors to the success of our organization.
- We recognize that nonprofits build essential infrastructures which, in relationship with the public and private sectors, provide low-income families with opportunities to transition out of poverty.
- We strive to make pro bono services rewarding and fulfilling for our attorneys.
To download our brochures, please click on the following:
For Nonprofits: Providing Free Legal Assistance to Texas Nonprofits
For Attorneys: Connecting Lawyers with Nonprofits
To know more about LAMP (Legal Assistance to Microenterprises Project), click on the following.